Recently, I have been going through the book of Jeremiah. And WOW. Was I in for a surprise or what?! People always say the book of Jeremiah is depressing... Well, he is called "the Weeping Prophet" for a reason...indeed it's a story worth weeping over. The city of Jerusalem is about to be invaded by their enemies because they refuse to turn their hearts back to Yahweh, their God - the one true God. Jeremiah continually warns the people, but they will not listen.
So yeah. It's incredibly sad.

But...
I was surprised by the accompanying joy I found not-so-hidden in it as well! God is promising to destroy His disobedient nation, yes...but here's what I had missed before:
He is also offering them an incredible hope.
Probably one of the reasons I have enjoyed this book so much is because it follows the theme of some of my favorite Bible passages (Hosea 6:1-3 and Micah 6:8) - that of breaking but healing, tearing but mending...and returning, to walk humbly with the Lord. God doesn't just destroy - He offers to restore as well.
So...
Here are some of my favorite passages that I read today...such awesome reminders of God's incomparable character and unfathomable love for us! {emphases and divisions are all my personal addition :) }
"Woe to him who builds his house without righteousness and his upper rooms without justice...Did not your father eat and drink, and do justice and righteousness? Then it went well with him. He pled the cause of the afflicted and needy; Then it went well. Is not that what it means to know Me?" declares Yahweh.
~Jeremiah 22:13a, 15b, 16~
"Behold, the days are coming," declares Yahweh, "when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch; And He will reign as king and act wisely and do justice and righteousness in the land."
~Jeremiah 23:5~
"Am I a God who is near," declares Yahweh, "And not a God far off? Can a man hide himself in hiding places so I do not see him?" declares Yahweh. "Do I not fill the heavens and earth?" declares Yahweh.
~Jeremiah 23:23-24~
"For I will set My eyes on them for good...I will give them a heart to know Me, for I am Yahweh; and they will be My people, and I will be their God, for they will return to Me with their whole heart."
~Jeremiah 24:6a, 7~
Yahweh appeared to him from afar, saying, "I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness."
~Jeremiah 31:3~
***And my all-time favorite:
Behold, I am Yahweh, the God of all flesh; is anything too difficult for Me?
They shall be My people, and I will be their God;
and I will give them one heart and one way,
that they may fear Me always, for their own good
and for the good of their children after them.
I will make an everlasting covenant with them,
that I will not turn away from them, to do them good;
and I will put the fear of Me in their hearts
so that they will not turn away from Me.
I will rejoice over them to do them good and will faithfully plant them in this land with all My heart and with all My soul.
~Jeremiah 32:27, 38-41~

Very encouraging:)
ReplyDelete