
• Lesson #1: God uses broken vessels to declare His glory and accomplish His purpose.
The book starts out with God's call to Jeremiah to follow Him and be His prophet to the wandering Israel. Jeremiah is...shall we say, more than reluctant. But Yahweh comes, saying:
"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you. And before you were born I consecrated you;
I have appointed you a prophet to the nations."
So, of COURSE, Jeremiah response with an enthusiastic, "CHAAARGE!!!!" right? ....right...??? Sigh....not quite....
"Alas, Lord Yahweh, Behold I do not know how to speak, because I am a youth."
Sounds like Jeremiah would have gotten along splendidly with another prophet I've been studying recently in Pastor Aucoin's Exodus study...*Hint: his name starts with "M" and ends in "oses"...He laid out some pretty lame excuses when God called him too.
And the Lord responds to Jeremiah much like he did to Moses:
Do not say, "I am a youth," because everywhere I send you, you shall go,
And all I command you, you shall speak.
Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you...
Behold, I have put My words in your mouth.
See, I have appointed you this day over the nations and over the kingdoms,
To pluck up and to break down, To destroy and to overthrow, To build and to plant.
This is so amazing! Seems to me God is pretty much saying, "Look, it's not your age or experience that matters. Why? Because My presence and My power is what matters - all you have to do is obey." I find it encouraging that God would use young, reluctant Jeremiah to accomplish such an incredible role in the lives of so many. I find it encouraging because I think there's some Jeremiah in all of us.
• Lesson #2: God is all-powerful and His desire will be accomplished in the earth.
After God calls Jeremiah, He now begins His narrative of what is yet to come. He tells Jeremiah of the wrath He has stored up for the unrepentant nations, and encourages Jeremiah not to fear. In fact, He speaks multiple times about protection and deliverance:
Do not be afraid of them...
I am with you to deliver you...
I am watching over My word to perform it...
Do not be dismayed before them...
I have made you today as a fortified city...
They will fight against you, but they will not overcome you,
For I am with you to deliver you.
Seems like God's trying to convince him of something, huh...I've always heard it said, "When God repeats Himself, listen up!" Well, I think this is one of those times... Apparently He wants to drive home the truth to Jeremiah that He will be with him.
Yahweh also gives Jeremiah a command: He intends to bring judgment on the rebellious nations, and he wants Jeremiah to be the one to deliver this news to Jerusalem. (Wow. What a job assignment.) Yahweh's ultimate power is displayed here because even the evil "kingdoms of the north" have no choice but to answer His call.
He is powerful enough to bring down the nations, and He is powerful enough to deliver and protect who He wills. He doesn’t abandon those who follow Him to the hands of their enemies. There is no reason to fear because He has both the desire and the power to carry out His will and protect those who chase after Him.
So. Awesome.
And it's only chapter one!!
*leap of joy*
No comments:
Post a Comment