
But fear not, dear reader...
I was innocent!
And I escaped with not so much as a warning.
Let me explain...
Apparently the campus policeman thought I might be *wait for it* driving drunk...Yeah, that's right, drunk...holy cow....it was so crazy...
Here's what happened:
I called my mom as I started the car, then I literally had just pulled out of the parking lot and was turning onto (a very well-lit, I might add) Grant Street, when I saw lights go off in my rearview mirror. I immediately checked both my speedometer and the color of the light I had just gone through - right at the speed limit, and still shining green.
"Uh...Mom, I'm gonna have to call you back," I said quickly. "I'm getting pulled over, but I have no idea what I could have done wrong!" The, as I frantically searched my mind for what I possibly could have done that was illegal, the policeman approached.
The conversation went thus:
Officer: "Hello, ma'am. Where are you headed?"
Me: "Umm...home."
Officer: "Really....is that so...so then, where are you coming from?"
Me: "Th-the lot b-behind Krannert."
Officer: "Uh...where?"
Me: "The K-Krannert parking lot...I have a C-pass right here in the window!"
Officer: "Oh...ok. So, have you been drinking tonight, ma'am?"
I was shocked. So I laughed. Probably not the best response when a policeman asks you that question, buuuut...I just couldn't help it...I burst out laughing...
Me: *laughing* "No sir, I don't drink. I actually never have."
Officer: "Ok...So you haven't had anything to drink, at all?"
Me: *still laughing* "No, sir. I have not been drinking."
Officer: "Oh, ok. *starts to walk away* Oh, and you should turn your lights on, by the way."
Me: "Oh, thank you, I hadn't noticed, with all the streetlights! Sorry about that..."
Officer: *walks back to the squad car*
I wait, not knowing if I'm free to go or not, so I pull out my license, etc.
Officer: *walks back* "Everything ok, ma'am?"
Me: "Oh yes, I didn't know if I was free to go or not. Do you need to see my license or something?"
Officer: "Oh. Uhhh...no you're good."
Me: "Oh, ok thanks!"
And we went our separate ways...
I was actually a little nervous during the whole time, not because I thought I had done something worthy of being pulled over, but because it was such a back way street...with no people around...a little sketch in my mind...
But unbeknownst to me, I had no reason to fear...because my awesome mother texted my awesome boyfriend as soon as I hung up with her, and she asked him to go check on me. So he apparently was watching the whole interchange from the nearby skylight overpass to make sure I was safe, and he was ready to run down at the first sign of trouble...
*Sigh*
I'm honored to have such sweet protectors :)
They were definitely God's tools of "refuge" for me tonight! (Psalm 46)
When I got home, my dad informed me that the next time I see flashing lights in the rearview mirror when I'm on such a secluded street, I am to slow down, turn my flashers on, and pull into the next well-populated, well-lit area before I stop the car. I'm sure this particular officer was legit and meant me absolutely no harm...but you just never know what kind of crazy people are in the world, unfortunately...So now I'll know for the next time!
(Although come to think of it, I hope there isn't one...!!)
Weirdest thing ever, to be pulled over for potential drunk driving...That's definitely a first...I've really never heard of that happening to anyone before! Wow. My first experience being pulled over. But I have to say, I'm pretty thrilled it was for something I wasn't doing.
So I'm super thankful for our service men that are working to rid the world of drunk driving!
~Even if they do catch the occasional innocent from time to time...
My brother got pulled over for not having his headlights on and the officer thought he was drunk as well. Even had to recite the alphabet. I was in the passenger seat trying not to laugh the whole time.
ReplyDeletePulled over for woman driving :)
ReplyDelete